Rich's paintlog
Hi everyone,

I thought it would be a good idea to keep a painting log to keep me motivated to paint. At the moment I'm painting mostly WFB 8th edition minis (a bit late to the party, I know), but I'll include everything I paint along the way, as well as works in progress.

So first up is some of my vampire counts progress.

A few boxes of these guys arrived. A lot of the lists I have played don't make much use of skeletons, but I really like the models, so I thought, why not buy 60 of them anyway? Big Grin

[Image: IMAG0461.jpg]

Clipped, cleaned and ready. I made the mistake of assembling my first 20 (which are now painted) with the detailed armour & weapons (helmets with gems & spears with fabrics) and that really added a lot to the painting time. So this time around I tried sticking with the most basic minis I could make.
I will also keep the shields separate for ease of painting.

[Image: IMAG0462.jpg]

I also received one of these in the mail. I ruined my last one by just being inexperienced and bending the needle. Luckily enough they are fairly cheap on eBay for all I use them for.

[Image: 50506c36-292a-473a-b9ac-0d61432f8690.jpg]

Next level base coating and drying apparatus:

[Image: IMAG0463.jpg]

I also decided to magnetise the bases for easy storage and transport. This step was fairly straight forward. I also based the minis with 1/2mm cork sheet and sand. I don't have a picture of this, but I fully painted the bases before attaching the finished miniature.

[Image: IMAG0465.jpg]

The bone is complete. I went a little too heavy on the highlighting stage so it doesn't show much of the darkened recesses. I blame this on the airbrush. Still a rookie.

[Image: IMAG0471.jpg]

Now this is where I got to before getting bored and moving onto my next project. The metal knight model is acting as a stand in for my vampire lord, which I will post shortly.

[Image: IMG-20150929-WA0017.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0122.jpg]

More to follow.

My list makes use of a lot of Crypt Horrors, but I wasn't really fussed on the GW models, so I ordered a box of these guys:

[Image: SAM_1367.jpg]

I think the models look really cool (not fussed of their textured bases though). Unfortunately one of the models came with two badly warped arms, and because I ordered them such a long time ago, I don't think it's worth pursuing a refund.
The photo below doesn't show too much, but the arm and hand is badly damaged (looks melted) and it doesn't fit well with the rest of the model.

[Image: SAM_1373.jpg]
[Image: SAM_1374.jpg]

After a bit of thought, I figured that if I wanted to run a huge block of Crypt Horrors, I'd only have the three different models that Titan Forge had to offer and it would look a bit stupid if they were all holding rocks. So I ordered a box of these guys, and managed to pick up another 10 + extras for about £25 on eBay (they retail at £30 for 5) so I was happy about that. Still considering to paintstrip them and rebase them from scratch.

[Image: IMG-20150801-WA0001%201.jpg]

Almost finished test model (just have to redden the warts and diseased areas with glazes) Fairly happy with how he turned out, just wish I chose a less healthy skintone

[Image: IMG-20150816-WA0010.jpeg]
[Image: IMG-20150816-WA0012.jpeg]

WIP and finished dogs (looking to add a lot more of these guys). I used Buy Painted's airbrush tutorial to paint these guys, was very quick and easy:

[Image: IMG-20150809-WA0016.jpeg]
[Image: IMG-20150809-WA0018.jpeg]
[Image: IMG-20150816-WA0006.jpeg]

The next batch I get I'll have to paint up like Quincy, who is also a fearless warrior.

[Image: IMG-20150718-WA0005.jpg]

More to follow.

I received this Vampire Lord miniature in the post. He is Dark Vlad by Enigma miniatures.
A really nice miniature, however the primer I used on him (Halford's white car primer) kept chipping off in the corners and on the blade of the sword, so at the moment I'm at a loss of what to do. I think I'll have to paint strip him and start from scratch with a better primer, although I've never had problems with Halford's primer before this.
Apparently a number of people were having the same problem, so I've put him on the back burner for a while.
I will also have to replace his blade for a plastic sword. I was using a red NMM technique on the blade to represent the Vampire's Red Fury (vampiric ability), which was looking fantastic, but the masking tape a was using the protect one side of the sword was lifting all the paint and the primer! Sad

[Image: IMAG0482.jpg]

Anyway, a few WIP pictures of my zombies. I don't have any finished pictures of them at the moment. I was fairly happy how they turned out, but wasn't happy with my choice of skin tone. The colour is too brownish and too similar to the base colour, so nothing really stands out. If I get time, I'll paint strip my current WIP zombies and airbrush them a more reddish skin tone.
Apologies for poor photography skills.

[Image: IMAG0054.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0057.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0048.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0047.jpg]

More to follow

Now for something a little different. I didn't like how the purple turned out on my skeleton warriors clothing, so I tried a similar purple scheme on some Dark Elf Black guard I had lying around.

I was very happy with the purple tone on these minis. I think it was because I used a black basecoat, which really made the purple stand out. But I really don't want to spray my skeletons white, then bone colour then repaint the clothing black before I even get to the first purple base coat. That would take too much time, especially for 60 models. I'll maybe start with a darker purple base coat next time around and see how that looks.

[Image: IMG-20141027-WA0010.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20141028-WA0002.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20141027-WA0008_1.jpg]

I also dug out my old Orcs & Goblins army and started to paint strip those minis. When I get all the minis stripped I will post some more pictures. For the moment I'll leave you with my WIP Orc archer (to test the skin tone).

[Image: IMG-20151008-WA0009.jpg]

Oh I almost forgot. I received this miniature free with my Dark Vlad model. I'll probably use her for the upcoming Necromunda campaign, stay tuned.

[Image: IMAG0487.jpg]
Lovely stuff, what way did you do the orc skin tone?
Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

[Image: badmoonz.jpg]

"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!"
(10-14-2015, 11:26 AM)BGJ Wrote: Lovely stuff, what way did you do the orc skin tone?

I started with a white primer, base coated with a vallejo green colour (can't remember the name), successive highlights were made with a mix of the base green and a vibrant vallejo yellow, until an almost complete yellow highlight. I finished with a watery glaze of the basecoat green diluted with thinning medium.

Pretty happy with how he turned out, but he's only a test model so hopefully I'll be able to streamline the process. For example, when I painted that guy I forgot to paint the inside of his mouth and gums, which I'll probably do first on the next model to avoid ruining my skin tone later.

I'll probably keep his armour to dull colours mostly and paint the standard bearer a bit brighter to give the unit some life.
nice work rich so far
[Image: Not+the+mama+_5dbac1947b4f5268d7cbbc57ee1cff85.gif]

[Image: FireflyDance.gif]
Wow!

Cool dog Smile
[Image: nafId?n=19316&s=2]
Damn all you painting people, I'm lucky if my minis get dipped.
Love the dog, what colors did you use on him he is soo life like!
Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'!

[Image: badmoonz.jpg]

"Orkses is never defeated in battle. If we die we die fighting so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!"
Ok, so it's about time I update this painting log. Recently, my attention has turned to terrain building.

First up, I built a gaming table for the spare room. It's a standard 6x4 board made with 18mm thick MDF, bolted together with lengths of timber and painted up. There are no legs on it, instead it is sitting on top of an old table I found in the garage. The board itself is very heavy, but it can be stored against the wall if the we have guests over. The wooden table underneath folds up to be used as an end table

[Image: IMAG0624.jpg]

I ordered a mousepad style gaming mat from http://www.gamemat.eu/en/. They're a Czech company and very easy to deal with. Delivery took several weeks, but I was in no rush.
The photo doesn't do this mat justice. It's much more vibrant and detailed than my phone camera makes it appear. I plan to order another wasteland/cavern style in the future.

[Image: IMAG0625.jpg]

Some forest obelisk style stones. Quick and easy to make, all with extruded polystyrene, sand and paint.

[Image: IMAG0627.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0639.jpg]

I bought a bag of trees online from a German model train company (can't recall their name) and amounted them on 40mm round bases to fit in my forest bases. The forest bases themselves were made with thin sheets of MDF and modelling clay. The trees are magnetised onto the bases, but they're not as strong as I would have liked (even with 3 magnets in each base).

I'm fairly happy with the end result, but if I had to do it again I'd just buy the Citadel forest bases. They look better, are fairly cheap, and the edges of the bases won't warp with PVA/wood glue. The warped edges of these forest bases, combined with how slick the mat is, means they spin from the centre very easily, and it gets annoying to play with. I might have to glue some rubber to the bottom of them.

[Image: IMAG0628.jpg]

My first hill! 

Happy with how it turned out. I used white packing polystyrene (the packing foam that comes with new TVs). It's a very shallow hill which makes it easier to play with, and Kings of War doesn't use true line of sight so we can pretend it's taller than it truly is.

I read online that you can apply PVA glue to the underside of hills like this to minimise the effects of warping. I tried this and it didn't really work. If anyone has any better ideas on how to stop warping please comment below.

[Image: IMAG0630.jpg]

Wheat fields. Easily made with a cut up door mat, hardboard base and some balsa wood fences. Again the bases are warped

[Image: IMAG0631.jpg]

Treasure tokens for Kings of War. Back 3 are still WIP.

[Image: IMAG0633.jpg]

I ordered a cheap and cheerful hot wire cutter from eBay, and tested it out to make a huge corner hill. Does anyone know where to buy thinner sheets of extruded polystyrene. I only have a few sheets of the foam and it's too thick for hills.

[Image: IMAG0637.jpg]
First building, and I started too big. The footprint of this building is much too big to play 28mm rank & file wargames on, but I am happy how it turned out and I learned a lot making it.

[Image: IMAG0641.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0640.jpg]

WIP buildings. First one was going to be a farm house with dormers & a chimney, but I built it too big and decided to change it into a barn. I have also dropped the idea of using a textured base. This way the buildings have a smaller footprint and I can use them on any style of gaming table (snow, grass, wasteland etc)

The second building will eventually be a windmill.

[Image: IMAG0643.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0644.jpg]

[Image: IMAG0646.jpg]

And finally, a couple of months collecting fake plants yielded this result.

Jungle terrain will be another project in the close future, after I finish my village terrain (windmill, fields, 2-3 houses, barn & church building)

[Image: IMAG0647.jpg]

I have more figures built and painted as well, but I'll post them when I get around to taking photos.

EDIT: Another photo of Quincy.
[Image: IMG-20150929-WA0024_1.jpg]