Spray varnish
Hi all!

Just wondering if you would recommend a product for taking the shine of my gloss British Army.

A spray would be ideal.

Peter
Army painter spray varnish if you can get it. Be very careful using any spray varnish though, it can be prone to going opaque. Ways to stop this are 1. Make sure the tin is warm I leave mine in warm not hot water for a few mins before spraying, 2. Don't spray when its 2 cold or humid, 3. Don't spray loads on give your minis a few swift passes. However still sometimes you will still get fogging which drives me mad. Colin by the way does none of the above and has never had a problem lol
(03-08-2017, 09:01 PM)Roger Campbell Wrote: Army painter spray varnish if you can get it. Be very careful using any spray varnish though, it can be prone to going opaque. Ways to stop this are 1. Make sure the tin is warm I leave mine in warm not hot water for a few mins before spraying, 2. Don't spray when its 2 cold or humid, 3. Don't spray loads on give your minis a few swift passes.  However still sometimes you will still get fogging which drives me mad. Colin by the way does none of the above and has never had a problem lol

Thanks, Roger. I'll give that a go on a couple of figures to start with :-)
Whatever you do don't use the GW stuff. I don't know if they've fixed the issues they had some years back but many folks had awful problems with the matt varnish spray.

Roger C's advice on use is very good. One other little detail too - spray somewhere between 6" and 12" from your model. Any closer and you'll inundate your model (even with multiple passes), any further away and the spray begins to dry out on its way to hitting your model. This can also cause that dreaded fogging and white spotting.

Your idea of doing a few test runs is very wise. A friend of mine had painted up an entire army of Black Templars, used some GW matt varnish on a single squad (thankfully only a single squad!) and completely ruined the whole squad because of the white spotting result. He wasn't well pleased....

Roger B.
I've ordered the Army Painter spray and I'll try on one figure first. I've also ordered the vallejo paint on matt just in case my little infantry man turns into olaf the snowman :-)